Faculty of Engineering in Air University
The Faculty of Engineering at the Air University has produced six batches of Electrical Engineering and five of Mechatronics Engineering students. These students have either got employment or are studying further at University or abroad. Moreover, the University continues to advance Faculty of Engineering with further academic enhancements.
The faculty has 3 areas of specializations i.e. Electronics, Telecommunications, Power and Mechatronics. However, the third year of undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering is completed through Institute of Avionics and Aeronautics, also located in the University campus.
The Faculty of Engineering is competent and follows all directions of the university. It offers Undergraduate and Graduate degrees, which are accredited by Pakistan Engineering Council.
Recently, the University has been associated with national centers viz. the National Institute of Vacuum Science and Technology (NINVAST) and the National Center of Physics (NCP), which is expected to strengthen the projects undertaken by faculty and students.
Department of Mechatronics Engineering
The Department of Mechatronics Engineering was established in 2003. Till now, three batches of students have acquired Bachelors degrees. The department has 20 teachers with three Ph.D faculty members. Laboratories of this department consists of CNC machines, robotics, industrial automation, thermofluids, control and automation, heat transfer, mechanics of materials and a general mechanical workshop. Other facilities available to the department are computer labs, library, labs of digital electronics and microprocessors.
In Pakistan, Mechatronics is well-matched to the industry as it provides the right mix of Mechanical, Electronics, and Computer Programming to enable an engineer to deal with all conditions.
The department concentrates on instrumentation, sensors and control systems for graduate level courses, whereas the M.S. program allows students sufficient time, after the completion of the mandatory eight-course program, to pursue research at an internationally acceptable level. An M.S. thesis in Mechatronics is targeted at producing quality work leading to doctoral research, which meets international conferences standards.
Apart from usual programs, the faculty is also involved with research in areas of embedded systems, thermofluids, and x-ray fluorescence detection for the use of sensors of elemental assaying. Click Here to know more on Department of Mechatronics Engineering.
Programs offered in the Department of Mechatronics Engineering
- BE Mechatronics Engineering: It is a four year course, eligibility for which is minimum 60% in Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
- MS Mechatronics Engineering: This is a 2 year program, eligibility is B.E/B.Sc Engg (Mechnical, Electrical, Mechatronics) with minimum CGPA of 2.5 followed by an interview.
Department of Electrical Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering is the largest constituent unit of Air University in its size and scope. It has been in operation since 2002 and has graduated seven batches of students, who are successfully employed in various public and private sector organizations, and also pursuing graduate degrees in national and international universities. All the batches have Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) accreditation.
The department has eleven modern laboratories, which are equipped with the latest training aids to enhance learning experience of the students. It has digital electronics, electronic systems, analog, digital, RF and optical communication, power electronics and electrical machines, control systems, embedded systems design, digital signal and image processing, telecommunication networks laboratory, power systems laboratory and projects laboratory.
Students also have access to five computer laboratories with latest computer hardware and software for computer based courses and fast internet connection. For research purposes, students have access to IEEE digital library as well as other digital libraries with access provided by HEC. Click Here to know more about Department of Electrical Engineering.
Programs Offered in Department of Electrical Engineering
- B.E.E. (Bachelor of Electrical Engineering): This is 4 year program wherein students have to select Major and Minor areas of studies. The applicants should have atleast 60% marks in F.Sc. A-Level or equivalent and they must clear the entry test and qualify interview.
- M.S. E.E. (Master of Science in Electrical Engineering): The duration of this post-graduation course is 2 years with specializations in Digital Communication Systems, Control systems and Radar System Engineering. To be eligible for this course, students should score minimum of 60% or 2.50/4.00 GPA in BE/B.Sc. and clear GRE (General) /GAT conducted by NTS with atleast 50%.
- Ph.D. E.E. (Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering): The duration for Ph.D is maximum four years after M.S (Extendable by two years). The specializations are in Radar Systems Engineering, Digital Communication Systems and Control Systems. The eligibility criterion is Masters/ M. Phil degree in relevant area, with a minimum 3.00/4.00 or equivalent and clearing GRE (subject) or GAT(subject) by NTS with at least 60%.
To get more information on Faculty of Engineering, you may visit www.au.edu.pk/faculty_engineering_about.aspx